Friday, March 15, 2024

Six Questions for C. E. Hoffman, Editor-in-Chief, Punk Monk Magazine

Intro updated per editor’s request 3/15/2024.


Punk Monk Magazine publishes poetry, flash fiction (micro considered), creative non-fiction, reviews, op-eds, and more!


“We are excited to elevate femme/queer voices, though all (within the realms of moral sanity) are welcome. We're especially interested in a feminine perspective w/ edge- that which our EIC has dubbed "femmepunk" in reference to their own work.” Read the complete guidelines here.


SQF: Why did you start this magazine?

C.E. Hoffman: My motivation has changed over time! Punk Monk began as Visceral Uterus Magazine, launched by me and an internet friend. We were co-EICs, and had no clear vision on what kind of work we wanted to publish. When my pal left the Masthead, I re-invigorated the publication as a strictly feminist, strictly poetic zine. Since rebranding as Punk Monk Magazine, we publish poetry, flash fiction, CNF, music features, and more, and recently have begun accepting review requests! I try to publish things I actually want to read (or wish I’d written!) Above all, I want to cultivate a space for writers like me, who don’t quite belong anywhere, but sure as fuck have something to say.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?

CEH: Lack of pretentiousness. Simplicity. Sincerity.  We like things that are easy to read/relate to.


SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?

CEH: Pretentiousness. Wordiness. Obvious refusal to read the guidelines/figure out what we’re about. 


SQF: What do you look for in the opening paragraph(s)/stanza(s) of a submission?


CEH: Simple words. Raw emotion. Real life. Femme experiences written by femmes! 



SQF: If  Punk Monk Magazine had a theme song, what would it be and why?


CEH: Rock n Roll by Avril Lavigne. Laugh if you want: “I don’t care about my makeup/I like it better with my jeans all ripped up/don’t know how to keep my mouth shut/you say so what/I don’t care if I’m a misfit/I like it better than that hipster bullshit/I am a motherfucking princess/you still love it” 



SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?


CEH: I’m content! 


Thank you, C. E.. We all appreciate your taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.



No comments:

Post a Comment