Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Six Questions for Doug Jacquier, Editor, Witcraft

Witcraft publishes fiction, non-fiction and poetry of 200-1,000 words. “We're looking for skillful writing that is brief, humorous and engaging, with the emphasis on wit, word play, absurdity and inspired nonsense. We offer monthly prizes of A$50, A$20 and $A10. Entry is free. Read the complete guidelines here.

SQF: Why did you start this magazine?

Doug Jacquier: I love humour, wit, absurdity, wry social commentary, and people’s funny moments in their lives. I love writers who know how to craft their submissions to reach the audience they crave.

I know there’s a market out there of people who want some daily relief from the gloom and doom that seems to pervade the news and the web. And I know writers who love to write humour.

In despair at being able to find a home for well-crafted humorous work, I decided (with a lot of encouragement from my wife, Sue) to be the change I wanted to see. Hence Witcraft.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?

DJ: We look for stories and poems that share these common elements:

  • They span cultures and tap into the universal.
  • They are well-crafted and use literary skills.
  • They don’t assume that everyone is mired in consumer culture (food, fashion, binge TV, the Royals, etc.).


SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?

DJ: There are some basic no-no’s that will automatically get you a rejection.

  • Pieces that use a sledgehammer to nail a tack.
  • Work that is gratuitously offensive.
  • Thinly disguised comedy routines.
  • Writers who think excretion or genitalia or four-letter words are inherently funny.
  • Current political satire, including fake news. 


SQF: What do you look for in the opening paragraph(s)/stanza(s) of a submission?

DJ: Our specialty is brief humour pieces, so the opening is less important than in longer formats. We look for pieces that work as a whole.


SQF: If Witcraft had a theme song, what would it be and why?

DJ: Randy Neman’s ‘You’ve got a friend in me’, which sums up my feelings for humour writers around the world. 


SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?

DJ: Do you write articles on humour?

Yes, I do and you can find most of them on Witcraft’s Substack page.   

I’ve also published a free list of 100+ other magazines that publish humour, as acknowledged by Chill Subs in this piece.

Thank you, Doug. We all appreciate your taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.


1 comment:

  1. Great interview, Jim and Doug. I wish you great success, and hope to interview you on Always Write very soon.

    ReplyDelete