Friday, January 5, 2024

Six Questions For: A Farewell

They say you’ll know when it’s time. December 31 marked the end of my 15th year of providing editor interviews on Six Questions For. . . (https://sixquestionsfor.blogspot.com). It’s been a grand run, but it’s time for me to move on.

I want to thank Randall Brown (https://www.randall-brown.com) for planting the seed for the project. He responded to an online rant of mine suggesting I “publish a series of interviews in which editors list, in excruciating details, all that each editor desires in his/her stories.” I don’t remember my response the first time I read this. I know it wasn’t positive. I spent a few weeks attempting to talk myself out of passing go and posting interviews. Obviously, I failed.

I also want to thank all the editors who participated. Over the course of this project, I contacted 2,409 editors and published 955 interviews. That’s a 40% return rate, which remained steady throughout.

WHAT I WILL DO BEFORE COMPLETELY STOPPING 

1.    There are still a few editors who expressed an interest in participating but haven’t responded yet. If/When they do, I will post those interviews.

2.    I’ll also consider posting an interview from an editor who contacts me directly.

3.    Perform a final scan to mark publications that have ceased publication.

WHAT I WON’T DO

1.    Solicit new publications.

I’ve received many kudos over the years from editors and authors. I considered including a few here, but the greatest testimony would be for someone (or a group/class) to take over the project. I’m willing to assist in the transfer and share what I’ve learned over the span of the project. In the meantime, the current site will remain active for as long as Google allows.

Thanks for all your support over the years.

Jim Harrington

SixQuestionsFor@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment