Friday, June 23, 2023

Six Questions for Neil Slevin, Editor-in-Chief, Dodging The Rain

Based in Ireland, Dodging the Rain publishes all genres of poetry. Read its biography here  and complete guidelines here


SQF: Why did you start this magazine? 


 Neil Slevin: DTR began as an arts and literary journal founded by four NUI Galway writing MA graduates back in 2016. I think initially we wanted to extend our year-long experience of the writing community, to maintain connections within the group, and, of course, to foster creativity.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?


NS: Strong feelings, personality, and voice. I think we should invest our heart and soul into everything we do, especially those things we care about. Following that, I love poems that are unique in some way, that push boundaries. I probably prefer character-driven poems to those that observe but I will consider anything well-written.



SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?


NS: Poems that don't hold my attention or interest (we're an online publication, so immediacy is important), poor presentation/editing, poetry that is more tribute to poems and poets past rather than striving for the future, little to no evidence that the submitter knows our publication.



SQF: What do you look for in the opening stanza(s) of a submission?


NS: The opposite of my previous answer!


SQF: Is there a particular genre/topic you’d like to see more (or less) of in your submissions?


NS: Not particularly -- we're open to all. I will say that I don't enjoy reading unnecessary poems about Ireland that read as if they're inspired by the early 20th-century version of this country depicted by Hollywood films. We know what Ireland is: we live here.



SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?


NS: I can't think of one -- a good sign!


Thank you, Neil. We all appreciate your taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.


No comments:

Post a Comment