Friday, January 27, 2023

Six Questions for Hannah Danielle, Co-Editor, bloodbathhate magazine

bloodbathhate magazine publishes fiction and nonfiction of 100-1,500 words poetry to three pages, and art. “We are looking for writing, poetry, and art that feels like a car crash.” Read the complete guidelines here.


SQF: Why did you start this magazine?


Hannah Danielle: I started this magazine because I wanted to be in a band, but I suck at playing instruments. I wanted that connection through art, even if it was as someone editing or curating art rather than creating it. I also wanted a space for teenage girls like us, which goes back to the band idea. I was inspired by my city's music scene and punk scenes of the past, especially Kathleen Hanna's "girls to the front" movement.



SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?


HD: Honestly, weird people. People without any sort of MFA or socially acceptable reason to write—people who write because they need it, because they like to. That is my #1, #2, and #3.



SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?


HD: Condescension.



SQF: Are there particular genre you prefer?


HD: Honestly, anything that reads like a 90s punk zine. Or horror, but the camp kind-- like “Jennifer's Body.” Those are my two favourite genres. Punk rock and camp horror: that should be our motto.



SQF: If bloodbathhate magazine had a theme song what would if be snd why?


HD: I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone by Sleater-Kinney. I listened to that song (and the album it's from) when I first started working on the magazine.



SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?


HD: Hmm. What do we like about editing?


Thank you, Hannah. We all appreciate your taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.


No comments:

Post a Comment