Friday, July 8, 2022

Six Questions for Rebecca Leivesley, Editor, Space Lime Zine

Space Lime Zine publishes female-led science fiction of all sub-genre. This includes prose to 2,000 words, poetry to 200 words, and art. Issues may be themed. Read the complete guidelines here.


SQF: Why did you start this magazine?


Rebecca Leivesley: I started Space Lime to create a space for readers and writers of feminist speculative fiction. As a writer myself, I felt the market was lacking in literary magazines that truly aligned with my desire for strong female characters in science fiction, especially in Scotland. Thus, I wanted to create a magazine that prioritised this. I also wanted a creative space for writers and artists to collaborate and throw around some wacky ideas that perhaps wouldn’t fit other publications. 


The publication itself is designed as a concept magazine.  I could just picture this bar on the edge of space and its famous psychedelic limes, the rugged woman who owned it, and the mad, vigilante customers who pass through for respite from the law. I wanted to get people excited to write so we can build a world together.



SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?


RL: 

  1. Strong female characters who unapologetically drive the story

  2. A daring to push the boundaries of the theme and/ or genre in weird and wonderful ways

  3. A sense of humour is always appreciated 



SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?


RL: There is very little I will not accept, but not reading the submission guidelines is always an immediate turn-off for me. 


The great thing about being a small publication is that I am able and happy to work with writers on editing their work to fit the magazine.



SQF: What do you look for in the opening paragraph(s)/stanza(s) of a submission?


RL: I wouldn’t say I look for one thing in particular, but I do like an opening that is snappy, to the point and doesn’t waste too much time on unnecessary backstory. I like openings that grab my attention straight away and give me a sense of urgency to read on.



SQF: You recently published your first issue. What was your main takeaway from this experience?


RL: My main takeaway from this experience is how gratifying the whole process is.  To go from those early brainstorming sessions to a fully realised magazine, to then watching how people respond is such a special feeling. I was blown away by the scope of creativity in the submissions and the trust those writers had in me to edit and publish their work. There is a real sense of community being built here and I’m excited to watch it grow.



SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?


RL: What is your plan for future issues of Space Lime?


Hopefully the magazine will continue to grow, and I’m excited to see how writers and artists will respond to future themes. I wonder what corners of the galaxy they will take us to.  The plan is to publish two or three issues a year, continuing to build the mythos of this bar on the edge of space and encouraging collaboration around the world.


Thank you, Rebecca. We all appreciate your taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment