Friday, March 12, 2021

Six Questions for Kris Hiles, Editor-in-Chief, GLITCHWORDS

GLITCHWORDS publishes poetry to twelve lines and prose (fiction, creative-nonfiction, unclassifiable bits, etc.) to 100 words. “We love phrases, experiments, big thoughts compressed into little spaces, strong images, language memories.”

(ceased publication)


SQF: Why did you start this magazine?


Kris Hiles: GLITCHWORDS got started for a few different reasons. When I was little, I had always wanted to write. There weren't as many opportunities then, and I promised myself that one day I would help create an opportunity I had lacked. So, promise kept. Another factor was the pandemic. I was struggling with finding daily tasks to keep myself occupied, and rather than get despondent, I decided to get busy. If I'd known how happy and busy I would be, I would have started this years ago.



SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?


KH: First and foremost, length. Or rather, lack thereof. I specifically seek micropoetry and microprose. I feel these forms tend to hit fast but hard, due to the nature of the constraint. That's the type of impact I like when I read anything, and it's something I want to give more of to readers.


Second, images. Strong images. I don't care if it's a single, central image, or a number of well crafted ones, but imagery is key. With such short forms, I feel like this is almost a necessary request. Something to attach the writing to a place in a reader's mind. 


Third, deliberate language. With so few words to say something in, the economy of message, not just words, becomes part of the craft. 



SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?


KH: Submissions that ignore the guidelines. I don't have a lot of requirements. Not adhering to the few guidelines I have feels disrespectful, and indicates to me that the author isn't interested in GLITCHWORDS specifically, but rather an additional publication.



SQF: Is there a particular type of submission you’d like to receive more of?


KH: After the release of Issue 4, I expanded the publication to include microprose as well as micropoems. I would love to see more prose submissions. Sentences, drabbles, hybrid works. 

 


SQF: Many editors list erotica, or sex for sex sake, as hard sells (things you won’t publish). What are hard sells for your publication?


KH: I have things I'll absolutely refuse, as noted in the guidelines, but outside of what's noted, I'm open to pretty much anything. I don't like to impose many limits beyond the guidelines, because experiences are unique for everyone, and I really like to focus on and celebrate that, in whatever form it takes. Actual hard sells are pretty simple: formal poetry, rhyme, linear stories, traditional love poems. 



SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?


KH: I tend to try and think ahead, so maybe, "What are your plans for the future?" I have a website redesign in the works before our next issue. Also, while our regular issues aren't themed I've been considering a once-a-year kind of special volume. In general, I'm always looking for ways to keep this adventure interesting.


Thank you, Kris. We all appreciate your taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project. 


No comments:

Post a Comment