Friday, May 15, 2020

Six Questions for The Editor, 3 Moon Publishing

3 Moon Publishing Literary Magazine publishes “previously unpublished, original work. We accept poetry, prose, essays, short memoirs, (grief memoirs in particular,) short stories [to 3,000 words] that fit the horror/sci-fi/spec fic theme, music, art, photography, and spoken word.”

Ceased publication.

SQF: Why did you start this magazine?

3 Moon Publishing: If I'm being honest, anxiety. I had some time off and wanted to start a project. So I did.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?

3MP: It really needs to hook me right away, be it story, memoir or poetry. It also needs to be emotive. I want the trauma you've been carrying for years. I want conflict and struggle. Because if you're writing that you're still standing. You've survived. Simultaneously, I love weird spec fic and stuff that's just another level of abstract. Is that three? Maybe.


SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?

3MP: Rhyming. While I adore it as a skill some have and have mastered, I will almost never choose a poem that rhymes.


SQF: What do you look for in the opening paragraph(s)/stanza(s) of a submission?

3MP: Like I said, I need hooks - something to really grab my attention and make me take notice. I get that this is an abstract sort of subjective thing, but I'm being honest. 


SQF: What other services does 3 Moon Publishing offer authors?

3MP: Editing, beta reading, audio book recording, and transcription. 


SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?

3MP: Wow that's weird to think about. I guess maybe my history with poetry...? I've been writing my whole life and was freelancing at 17. But I dont technically have an education in it so I always feel like my work is trash because I dont have 'MFA' next to my name.

Thank you. We all appreciate your taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment