Tuesday, April 21, 2020

A Six Questions For. . .Update

I had surgery in early February, and confined to home, decided to start a long overdue project for Six Questions For. . .. Now when you scroll down the alphabetical list in the right-hand column of each page, you will find the following:

Bartleby Snopes (CP) (2)

The (CP), as indicated by the legend at the top of the list, signifies the journal has ceased publication. The number in parentheses denotes multiple interviews or responses. I offered some editors the opportunity to update their answers. If you’d like to revise yours, email me at sixqquestionsfor@gmail.com.

The entries on the genre pages are now linked to the interview. Items are also marked to indicate those no longer publishing.

Cake Train Journal and Press (ceased publication)
Camroc Press Review (ceased publication)

Finally, if a magazine has ceased publication, this is indicated in the interview like so.

Weirdyear publishes flash fiction to 1000 words. Stories in the 500-800 word range are ideal. The editor is interested in stories that contain "progressive material that stretches the boundaries of fictions." While open to any genre, weird, horror, and slipstream are preferred.

(Ceased publication)

I’ve published 765 interviews since the first one in December of 2009. Of those, 250 have ceased publication. My first thought after seeing these numbers was “wow, look how many journals I’ve outlasted.” But then I remembered this effort has never been about me (not sure how or when the idea of making it about me happened). No, this project is about all the individuals, both singly and collectively, who have made the sacrifices needed to publish a magazine on a regular schedule year after year. Yes, some are no longer with us. The reasons why aren’t important. What is important is the commitment all the editors and staff made to expand opportunities for authors and readers, even if only for a short time. I salute you all for your efforts in expanding our writing community.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Jim. I wish you good health and wellness, post-surgery. Your interviews have proven invaluable to me. A couple of times, it's here in your blog where I first knew about - and therefore, subsequently submitted to - some of the literary journals which kindly published some of my work. Your "long overdue project" is most welcome, and we'll definitely make things easier for us writers seeking publication in litmags. Thank you so much for giving us a wonderful reference in your "Six Questions For..." blog!

    ReplyDelete