Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Six Questions for Clara Burghelea, Poetry Editor UK & Ireland, The Blue Nib Literary Magazine, Pt. 5 of 6

The Blue Nib Literary Magazine publishes poetry, fiction/nonfiction of 750-3,000 words and book reviews. 

(Ceased publication)

The Blue Nib is home to The Blue Nib Poetry Chapbook Contest which has been judged by poets such as Paul Sutherland, Kevin Higgins, Michael Blackburn and most recently Helen Mort. Previous winners include, Anne Walsh Donnelly, Ruth Quinlan and Derek Kannemeyer.

SQF: How did you get involved with The Blue Nib Literary Magazine?



Clara Burghelea: I first submitted poems and the poetry editor accepted them for Issue 37. Then, there was an opening for the Poetry Editor position and I applied for it. I guess I wanted it badly enough.




SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?

CB: In a submission, I look for a balance between concrete and abstract elements, to have my senses prickled and be surprised. 




SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?


CB: I am turned off by too much lyricism and the fact that I cannot get a handle on the poem, no matter how much I try.




SQF: What do you look for in the opening paragraphs/stanzas of a submission?



CB: The first stanza of the poem has to either give me goosebumps or leave me gasping for air. 




SQF: What one piece of advice would you offer an author hoping to be published in The Blue Nib Literary Magazine?


CB: My advice is to send their best pieces, and never let their ego surface if they get rejected.



SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?

CB: Do you carefully read all submissions? I always read each poem several times, out loud. 




Thank you, Clara. We all appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment