Friday, May 31, 2019

Six Questions for Audrey Bowers, Editor-in-Chief, Brave Voices Magazine

Brave Voices Magazine publishes poetry, creative non-fiction, fiction, flash fiction and art. [ED: BVM no longer accepts fiction, creative-nonfiction and flash fiction.] “Brave Voices Magazine is a literary and art magazine dedicated to sharing the human experience.”

(ceased publication) 

SQF: Why did you start this magazine?

Audrey Bowers: I started Brave Voices because I was very interested in becoming an editor and seeing what exactly running a magazine of my own would look like.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?

AB: I look for stories that are brave, honest, and make me feel something. I think these three things are what make me enjoy writing. I like seeing the nitty gritty beautiful mess that is someone else's life experience.


SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?

AB: First of all, if the work or person is racist, sexist, homophobic, or otherwise hateful. I also don't like seeing submissions where you can tell that someone didn't put any time or effort into it. The work doesn't have to be perfect, but I need to see some effort and I like when there's something at stake.


SQF: What do you look for in the opening paragraphs/stanzas of a submission?

AB: I look for interesting images or themes. Tell me about you. Tell me about your cat. Tell me about whatever you'd like, but make it compelling.


SQF: If Brave Voices Magazine had a theme song, what would it be and why?

AB: Brave by Sara Bareilles.


SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?

AB: What does bravery mean to you? To me bravery means doing the thing you know you're meant to do, even if it terrifies you.

Thank you, Audrey. We all appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment