Friday, September 21, 2018

Six Questions for Nadia Gerassimenko, Managing Editor, Moonchild Magazine

Moonchild Magazine publishes poetry, translated poetry, flash fiction to 500 words, mixtapes up to 13 songs, collaborations, and more.

(Ceased publiction)

SQF: Why did you start this magazine?

Nadia Gerassimenko: When I founded my online publication, Moonchild Magazine, I was already editing for Luna Luna Magazine. I loved the themes and subjects and content we explored, how light or dark or nuanced they could be, but I wanted something for myself, my own vision if you will. So I created Moonchild Magazine in the hopes of publishing experiential, dreamy works of art, connecting with other moonchildren like myself, and nurturing a safe and supportive community.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?

NG: I love works that are experiential in nature, i.e.: they stimulate not only your five but six senses. I love works that are dreamy, that make you feel like you're up on the moon, dreaming, yourself. I love works that are hybrids and in the same vein experiment with language not only linguistically but also visually. I believe in the evolution and revolution of language, that it's always changing, transforming, touching lives, moving communities, that it's never the same, that it's never stagnating. I hope to evoke that with everything I publish.


SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?

NG: I'm not a fan of rhyming poetry unless it's well-crafted and doesn't have any cheesy and cliche rhymes, that it's an upgrade on classical poetry. I don't like it when people submit half-assed writing with way too many grammatical errors.


SQF: What magazines/zines do you read on a “regular” basis?

NG: All my beloveds can be found here at https://www.moonchildmag.net/links.html. And beloveds keep on accumulating.


SQF: If Moonchild Magazine had a theme song, what would it be and why?

NG: This may be corny, but only the Sailor Moon theme song comes to mind.


SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it? 

NG: Do you solicit other people's work? That's one question I asked the community once. I think most editors are used to submissions coming to them, but I have been soliciting work I think would be perfect for a certain issue since founding Moonchild Magazine and even well before that with Luna Luna Magazine. If someone impassions me, I want others to know about them.

Thank you, Nadia. We all appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment