Friday, April 8, 2016

Six Questions for Lester L. Weil, Editor, The Flash Fiction Press

The Flash Fiction Press publishes flash fiction in any genre of 100- 1200 words. Once a week the site includes a short story of 1200-5000 words.

(Ceased publication)

SQF: Why did you start this magazine? 

Lester L. Weil: I enjoy editing and now have the time. Most of my time writing is spent in editing and re-editing.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why? 

LW: I want a story that will make me want to almost read faster because I find it interesting or want to see what happens. It's always nice not to see typos, which usually indicate that the author rushed the story out there, and didn't take the time to let it really settle in their mind. There are too many stories that are under-edited.


SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission? 

LW: When there is no focus, when I just don't know what to do with it, what to tell the author when I reject. 'Most of my time writing is spent in editing and re-editing.'  I do not get this feeling when reading a lot of the submissions I get.


SQF: Do you provide comments when you reject a submission? 

LW: I always give a reason. However, I try not to reject. I will usually send a story back with suggestions.


SQF: Based on your experience as an editor, what have you learned about writing? 

LW: It's hard and not enough people do it well. I just read a book by a well-known award winning author, and I kept thinking--he needs a better editor.


SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it? 

LW: Why offer a token payment, which does not represent time involved writing and editing a story?  I think that authors deserve recognition beyond just posting the story in their magazine. I just off a token at my magazine, but even payment at a 'pro' rate does not reflect time involved.

Thank you, Lester. We all appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.

2 comments:

  1. Your taking, your taking, your taking. Get it right in the narrative. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing this out, Andrew. I only wish someone had 700+ interviews ago. :) I'll correct the grammar going forward.

    ReplyDelete