Friday, August 21, 2015

Six Questions for Sarah Kedar, Editor-in-Chief, The Fable Online

The Fable Online publishes short stories of 1000 to 7000 words, flash fiction of 100 to 1000 words, microfiction of no more than 100 words, and poetry.

(Ceased publication)

SQF: Why did you start this magazine?

Sarah Kedar: I always searched for some (any) local publishers to submit my work to. There are no publishing houses in this part of the world, and no online markets either. Since I had the resources and the know-how, I started The Fable Online. Mainly to start the ezine trend and also to provide a local reading and writing avenue.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?

SK: 

  • Originality. I have seen many submissions that follow a tried and tested method. I like to see what is new and fresh. It is particularly interesting when the author has taken a risk. And also, when the author has shown parts of themselves in the story.
  • The author has followed our submission guidelines. This tells me that they have taken the time to study the guidelines and respects us. 
  • The third point would be whether or not the work resonates with me. Does it linger on after the reading has been done? The language, the story, the message, the emotion. It needs to have a certain staying power. 

SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?

SK: The first would be a disregard for our guidelines. Second would be glaring grammar errors. Third if every part of the story has equal levels of intensity.


SQF: Do stories have to be fable-like to be accepted?

SK: Oh, no. The name Fable was chosen because it is one of the oldest forms of story-telling. If one reads our publications so far, you will find a wide range of stories and almost none to be Fable-like. As I said that I wanted to start the publishing trend, I figured no other name would resonate that.


SQF: You’ve published five issues, with number six on the way. What has surprised you the most about managing an zine?

SK: Three aspects:

One, that it’s not difficult. Managing a zine is much easier than I thought it would be.

The second element that has surprised me is how few submissions we've had locally. And the quality of that work.

And the third element of surprise would be the amount of faith our regular contributors have shown in us. It has kept us running for six months now in a highly competitive environment.


SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?

SK: What does the future hold for Fable?

Long term includes starting print issues and becoming a paid market. We are still working on that. After we have crossed our first year, we will do our best to pay authors and poets for their contributions.

Thank you, Sarah. We all appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.


No comments:

Post a Comment