Friday, September 14, 2012

Six Questions from James Penha, Editor, The New Verse News


The New Verse News presents politically progressive poetry on current events and topical issues. Follow the rules for submission slavishly please. Read the complete guidelines at the site


SQF: Why did you start this magazine?

JP: When I am moved by events in the world, often issues of war and peace and justice, to write a poem, I need it published immediately! Figuring that there were other poets like me, I created a space in 2005 for current-events poetry.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?

JP:
Timeliness.
Poetry beyond prose.
Wisdom rather than rant.


SQF: Do you provide comments when you reject a submission?

JP: Not usually. Too many times in the past when I have offered suggestions, they were met with argument rather than appreciation.


SQF: What is the best part of being an editor?

JP: Getting to meet, albeit electronically, so many wonderful writers. The New Verse News is a community.


SQF: Based on your experience as an editor, what have you learned about writing?

JP: The writer's perspective is different from the editor's--even when one is both.


SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?

JP: What's the worst part of being an editor? When I know I've experienced it, I'll retire. Until then, the pleasures outweigh the pains.


Thank you, James. We all appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project. 

NEXT POST: 9/18-Six Questions for Nathan Rosen, Editor, MicroHorror

No comments:

Post a Comment