Friday, April 19, 2019

Six Questions for Amanda Steel, Editor, Printed Words

Printed Words publishes poems to 50 lines, creative non-fiction, book reviews, flash fiction to 500 words, short stories to 2,000 words, and more.

(Ceased publication)

SQF: Why did you start this magazine?

Amanda Steel: I know there are a lot of talented writers out there, and I wanted to help get their work published. I understand that the more well-known publications get so many submissions and they can’t publish all the good writing they receive, so I created Printed Words.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?

AS:
Following the guidelines is always a good start, because it makes my job easier. I have them for a reason, however I wouldn’t rule out accepting good writing because of it. I also love when people send in short stories, book reviews, flash fiction or creative non-fiction because we don’t get as much of those genres. Lastly, anything that is well-written and thought-provoking is likely to grab my attention, because if it makes me think, it will make the readers think too.


SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?

AS: Personally, I’m not a fan of forced rhyming and over the top language, but there are three of us selecting pieces for the e-zine, so this doesn’t rule out this kind of thing being selected.


SQF: If Printed Words had a theme song, what would it be and why?

AS: Lynyrd Skynyrd's All I Can Do Is Write About It, because sometimes that’s all you can do—then submit that writing to Printed Words, of course.


SQF: Many editors list erotica, or sex for sex sake, as hard sells. What are hard sells for your publication?

AS: Anything that discriminates against anyone else. Or lots of swearing, because we have to think about people who read the e-zine. We want people to be entertained, not offended.


SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?

AS: Do you send personal replies when rejecting a writer’s work?

At the moment I do, while we have a steady but manageable number of submissions. As a writer I know how frustrating the “not quite right for us” rejections are while understanding that editors don’t usually have time to give personal replies. While the submissions remain manageable, I aim to offer at least a line or two on why I haven’t accepted someone’s work.

Thank you, Amanda. We all appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.

2 comments:

  1. I have compilied a small book of poetry. would you consider reading it? saoirse love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saoirse. Thanks for your message. My name is Andy N and I am a member of submissions team of Printed Words. Currently we are not accepting full collection submissions, but would be happy to receive up to three of your poems to consider for the magazine (guidelines are above)

      Delete