Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Six Questions for Athena Dixon, Editor-in-Chief, Linden Avenue Literary Journal


Linden Avenue publishes poetry and short fiction that highlights the intersection between art and everyday life. 

(Ceased publication)

SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?

AD: I look for work that takes the everyday and blows it out of the water. I like work that considers the nuances of what it is to be alive, but doesn’t bog it down in common image. I love work that plays with words that do duel work, has strong line breaks, and oozes musicality. I want work that resonates on the page and in the mouth. 

A writer who can take the mundane and make me lean into my screen is one of the highlights of publishing Linden Avenue


SQF: What common mistakes do you encounter that turn you off to a submission?

AD: There are a few things. I dislike constant submissions and withdrawals. Simultaneous submissions are accepted. However, I’ve encountered several instances in which an author will do this multiple times over the course of a week or two. It makes it difficult to keep track of what he or she actually wants me to consider. I tend to remember those names.

As well, I find submissions not properly proofread to be off-putting. Linden Avenue does review the work; however, we are not responsible for correcting multiple mistakes in submissions. 


SQF: Do you provide comments when you reject a submission?

AD: I do provide comments on some rejections, but those come when a piece was very close to submission, or I think the author’s work would fit well in an upcoming issue. Time, and volume of submissions, doesn’t allow me to do this with each author. 


SQF: Will you publish a submission an author posted on a personal blog? 

AD: Linden Avenue accepts poetry published on personal blogs with the requirement the post is deleted or made private during the month the piece is live on our site. Once the monthly issue is archived, the writer can repost the work. 


SQF: What do you want authors to know about the submissions you reject and how authors should respond? Along this same idea, do you mind if authors reply with polite questions about the comments they receive?

AD: Linden Avenue is still a pretty small journal. I’ve recently added a reader, Angie Chatman, to vote on submissions, but we are still working on managing how to give each submission a personal touch. There are a lot of submissions so I’m not very vocal in my responses unless the piece particularly blew me away or was very close to acceptance. Those responses usually come with specific notes or a request to submit again. 

If a writer would like a brief comment, he or she can reach me via Linden Avenue’s Gmail account or the contact form on our website. I would just ask that a bit of time to respond. 


SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?

AD: What can a writer do to become a part of Linden Avenue? I’m always looking for people to help push Linden Avenue forward. Our one year anniversary is approaching, and I have some plans for the journal I can’t do alone. We are actively seeking a social media guru, a logo designer, and anyone who thinks they have something to contribute. 

Thank you, Althea. We all appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.

NEXT POST: 5/17--Six Questions for Kate Alexander-Kirk and Amy Sibley, Editors, Zest Literary Journal

1 comment:

  1. A writer who can take the mundane and make me lean into my screen is one of the highlights of publishing Linden Avenue.

    That's the kind of story I look for, too. Thanks for participating in the project, Athena.

    ReplyDelete