Thursday, November 18, 2010

Six Questions for Pamela Tyree Griffin, Editor, Joyful!

Joyful! publishes fiction and non-fiction to 2500 words and poetry up to 100 lines. From the guidelines: "I like work that makes me think or makes me laugh or makes me cry. Work that makes me 'feel' holds special appeal. I like new AND experienced storytellers, poets, artists and photographers! Unless specifically announced, there is no particular theme.  Send your best joyful! work and be assured that I'll view and/or read with genuine care."

(ceased publication)


SQF: Why did you start this magazine?

PTG: There seemed to be a dearth of  places where positive, or motivational, or spiritual kinds of work were published and I felt strongly a sort of calling to create such a "place". What do we look for? For the most part, I am happy if "grandmother" can read it and not be offended. This kind of writing is important and I want to validate that for as many good writers as possible.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a story and why?

PTG: There must be a good story. Just because our view is positive doesn't mean we accept anything and everything! Stories and poems must reflect joy! That said, they may not always end joyfully but there should be some positive aspect within the piece. Try not to preach.


SQF: What are the top three reasons a story is rejected, other than not fitting into your answers to the above question and why?

PTG:

  1. FALURE TO FOLLOW GUIDELINES! This usually gets a deletion of the submission.
  2. Grammar is poor.
  3. We've seen it before-not original.


SQF: What is it about the characters in a story that makes them pop off the page and grab hold of you?

PTG: They are real. They may struggle or they may experience something we can relate to.


SQF: Will you publish a story an author posted on a personal blog?

PTG: If it fits, sure. I feel that authors should be able to see their work in as many places and as often as possible.


SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?

PYG: What would we like to see more of? Good narrative non-fiction.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to respond. What you are doing is so very good and is appreciated.

Thank you, Pamela. We all appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.

NEXT POST: 11/22--Six Questions for David Brennen, C0-Managing Editor/Fiction Editor, 322 Review

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jim, thanks for this interview. Looks like something I'd be interested in checking out.

    ReplyDelete